Adult Basic Education (ABE) is a program of the Saint Paul Public Schools' Community Education Department. Educational services are available to adults who want to improve their basic skills, earn a GED, prepare for employment or post-secondary education, or learn English. ABE is also a partner in the Saint Paul Community Literacy Consortium, a collaboration of agencies throughout Saint Paul that provide literacy services to adults in our community.
The mission of Saint Paul Public Schools Adult Basic Education is to provide adults with educational opportunities to acquire and improve their literacy skills necessary to be self-sufficient and to participate effectively as productive workers, family members, and citizens.
- GED® (General Educational Development Diploma): National high school equivalency assessment operated by GED Testing Service that includes a set of 4 tests: Math, Reasoning through Language Arts, Science, and Social Studies.
- Local Credit Completion Adult High School Diploma: Instructional programs for eligible adults leading to a high school diploma from a local Minnesota public school district.
- State Competency-Based Adult High School Diploma: Portfolio-based high school diploma completion programs for adults that embed prior experience, scores standardized assessment, ABE instruction and applied learning.
- ESL (English as a Second Language): Instruction for learners whose native language is not English.
- Basic Skills Enhancement: Elementary or secondary level basic skill building, such as work-related math, functional literacy (e.g.- banking skills), reading or writing assistance.
- Family Literacy: Instructional programs for adults and their pre-school age children. Features instruction for adults in literacy, math and/or ESL, instruction in parenting, and educational/developmental services for kids.
- Integrated English Language and Civics Education (IELCE): Civics education includes ESL, work readiness and contextualized career skills to encourage full participation in U.S. communities and employment.
ABE INITIATIVES AND PRIORITY PROGRAM AREAS
- Adult Career Pathways: Preparing Adults for Postsecondary Education, Training, Employment and Workforce Education. Pre-employment programs to provide basic skills necessary for work or post-secondary.
- Distance Learning and Digital Literacy: Building Adults’ Technology Skills. Digital literacy certification and numerous distance learning options to build reading, writing, math, employability and computer skills.
To be eligible for ABE, an individual must be:
- age 17 or older and not enrolled in or required to be enrolled in any school in the K-12 system,
And must meet one or both of the following criteria:
- lacks a secondary (high school) credential
- functions below the 12th grade level in any of the basic academic areas including reading, math, and ability to read, write and understand English.
1526 East 6th St, St. Paul, MN 55106 (Hub @ Harding)
235 Marshall Ave, St. Paul, MN 55102 (St. Paul College)
635 Prior Ave N. St., St. Paul, MN 55104 (Youth Build)
1717 University Ave, St. Paul, MN 55101 (Marsden Services)
60 Ruth St., St. Paul, MN 55117 (Battle Creek Elementary)
543 Front Ave., St. Paul, MN 55117 (Crossroads Elementary)
262 Bates Ave., St. Paul, MN 55106 (Dayton's Bluff Elementary)
1700 W Saunders Ave, St. Paul, MN 55116 (Highland)
1845 Sheridan Ave. W, St. Paul, MN 55116 (Homecroft)
1305 Prosperity Ave., St. Paul, MN 55106 (Letoile du Nord Elementary)
560 Concordia Ave., St. Paul, MN 55119 (Rondo Learning Center)
1521 Edgerton St., St. Paul, MN 55101 (Wheelock Early Education)
160 East Kellogg Blvd., St. Paul, MN 55101 (Workforce Solutions)
797 East 7th Street, St. Paul, MN 55106 (CLUES - St. Paul)
720 E. Lake St., Minneapolis, MN 55407 (CLUES – Minneapolis)
381 East Robie St, St. Paul, MN 55107 (Guadalupe Alternative Programs (GAP)
394 University Ave W, St. Paul, MN 55103 (Hmong American Partnership (HAP)-University Avenue)
1075 Arcade St, St Paul, MN 55106 (Hmong American Partnership (HAP)-Arcade Office)
375 University Avenue W, St. Paul, MN 55103 (Hmong Cultural Center (HCC) - University Avenue)
499 Wacouta Street, St. Paul, MN 55101 (Hmong Cultural Center (HCC) - First Baptist Church)
1694 Como Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108 (International Institute - Como Avenue)
235 Marshall Ave., St. Paul, MN 55102 (International Institute - St. Paul College)
1115 Greenbrier St., St. Paul, MN 55106 (Open Door Learning Center - Arlington Hills)
461 Dale St. N, St. Paul, MN 55103 (Open Door Learning Center – Rondo)
2700 East Lake St, Minneapolis, MN 55406 (Open Door Learning Center - Lake Street)
611 Van White Memorial Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55411 (Open Door Learning Center -Northside Sumner Library)
1509 NE 27th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55418 (Open Door Learning Center - Northeast Gustavus Adolphus Church)
2424 18th Ave. S, Minneapolis, MN 55114 (Open Door Learning Center - Centro Guadalupe Holy Rosary Church)
553 Fairview Ave, St. Paul, MN 55104 (Open Door learning Center - Midway GWES)
179 Robie Street East, St. Paul, MN 55107 (Neighborhood House - Wellstone Center)
2242 7th St. W, St. Paul, MN 55116 (Neighborhood House - Fort Road Flats)
2259 Rockwood Ave. W, St. Paul, MN 55116 (Neighborhood House - Rockwood Place)
277 University Ave W, St. Paul, MN 55103 (Vietnamese Social Services of Minnesota - University Avenue)
90 W 4th St., St. Paul, MN 55102 (St. Paul Public Library –Downtown)
Programs & Services
Some basic skills are required to find or keep a job.
We’ll work with you to define what you need and provide you with services that meet your individual goals, services including: