Help online or on the phone—at no cost to you
We can help you connect with Minnesota employers hiring right now, during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We can help you explore your options, showcase your skills with a solid resume and prepare for the interviewing process through live online workshops, live Job Club Online, recorded workshops and other offerings. Plus meet employers hiring now through Virtual Career Fairs and other virtual hiring events.
We can help you with individual career exploration and job search assistance over the phone, from reviewing your resume to talking through options for a potential change in careers to personalized assistance finding a job right now.
Find contact information for staff at a CareerForce location near you at CareerForceMN.com/locations.
Whether you’re looking for work now or thinking ahead, CareerForce offers many job search resources and services you can access from home.
NEW Upcoming Live CareerForce Online Workshops
Participation requires internet access and the ability to stream video and audio. These are Webex events. Registration is required. Please register NOW or at least 30 minutes BEFORE the event, so the coordinator can send you a link to join on time.
- Job Clubs Online: If you are looking for work, you will want to participate in one of these webinar workshops to help you learn how to be successful in your job search in today's economy, get advice, and develop new strategies. Here are upcoming topics:
- December 8, 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM: (Please register now so you receive the link to join on time.) Tools of the Job Hunting Trade (Resumes) – Is your resume getting you interviews? Are you targeting your resume to the job posting before you click submit? If not, this session will help you to understand why targeting your resume is so important and how to do it. We will discuss formatting, Applicant Tracking Software, accomplishment statements, and touch on cover letters too. This is the third week in a 6 part series that covers the essentials of the Creative Job Search (CJS) workshop.
- New Leaf Online: December 9, 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM. (Please register now so you receive the link to join on time.) This workshop provides tailored information for job seekers who have a criminal record and are looking for work. It will help justice involved individuals who are having a difficult time obtaining employment due to their criminal record.
- Resume Writing Workshop: December 9, 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM. (Please register now so you receive the link to join on time.) Craft a resume that will get you noticed. Learn best practices for creating a resume that meets the specific requirements of a position, find out what type of resume may be best for you and identify common mistakes to avoid.
- CareerForce - Orientation Online: December 10, 9:00 - 9:30 AM. (Please register now so you receive the link to join on time.) Learn about services that are offered at CareerForce locations and how to access them. From resume reviews to getting connected to Dislocated Worker service providers, rehabilitation counselors and veterans employment representatives, this half-hour introduction to the CareerForce system will give you the information you need to get the help you want. There will be time to ask questions and all participants will receive contact information for their local CareerForce locations.
NEW CareerForce Virtual Career Fairs
CareerForce regularly holds Virtual Career Fairs to help connect people who need work with employers hiring now. Participation requires internet access and the ability to stream video and audio. Registration is required. Please register NOW or at least 30 minutes before the event begins, so the coordinator can send you a link to join.
- Virtual Career Fair: Monday, December 7, 10:30 - 11:30 am This online event is an opportunity to meet business representatives from ACR Homes (Metro), Atlas Staffing Inc. (Metro), Humble Home Chore Service LLC (Remote position – Metro), Rich’s Products (Metro), and UnitedHealth Group (Eden Prairie – full and part-time) to learn more about their companies and job openings. Have your resume ready to email directly to the employers' representatives. Registered participants will receive information on how to connect to the Virtual Career Fair prior to the beginning of the event. This event will use Teams Live Events.
- View all Local Virtual Career Fairs throughout the state.
- You can view our previously recorded CareerForce Virtual Career Fairs to hear how companies are recruiting in-demand workers for health care and senior care, broadband/communications, security services, and other businesses, plus learn how CareerForce Virtual Career Fairs work.
CareerForce Recorded Online Workshops and Classes
- Job Clubs Online: Learn about job searching in today's economy, get advice, develop new strategies and more.
- Video Interviewing: How to stand out and be the one they want? (78 minutes)
- Laid off: Now what? (76 minutes)
- Stop getting rejected online! (80 minutes)
- How to get a job using LinkedIn (79 minutes)
- Networking: The first 30 seconds (79 minutes)
- Ageism & job search over 40 (83 minutes)
- CJS Week 1 - June 9 Career Planning and Preparing for the Job Hunt (62 minutes)
- CJS Week 1 - July 21 Career Planning and Preparing for the Job Hunt (62 minutes)
- CJS Week 1 - September 1 Career Planning and Preparing for the Job Hunt (56 minutes)
- CJS Week 1 - October 1 Career Planning and Preparing for the Job Hunt (55 minutes)
- CJS Week 2 - June 16 Identifying your Skills, Job Applications and Work Portfolios (61 minutes)
- CJS Week 2 - July 28 Identifying your Skills, Job Applications and Work Portfolios (59 minutes)
- CJS week 2 - September 8 Identifying your Skills, Job Applications and Work Portfolios (59 minutes)
- CJS week 2 - October 20 Identifying your Skills, Job Applications and Work Portfolios (60 minutes)
- CJS Week 3 - June 23 Tools of the Job Hunting Trade (Resumes) (57 minutes)
- CJS Week 3 - August 4 Tools of the Job Hunting Trade (Resumes) (57 minutes)
- CJS Week 3 - November 3 Tools of the Job Hunting Trade (How People Find Work) (58 minutes)
- CJS Week 4 - August 11 Internet and Social Media (LinkedIn) (59 minutes)
- CJS Week 4 - September 22 Internet and Social Media (LinkedIn) (59 minutes)
- CJS Week 5 - August 18 The Job Interview (59 minutes)
- CJS Week 5 - September 29 The Job Interview (55 minutes)
- CJS Week 5 - November 10 The Job Interview (57 minutes)
- CJS Week 6 - July 14 Facing Unemployment at 50 (59 minutes)
- CJS Week 6 - August 25 Facing Unemployment at 50 (60 minutes)
- CJS Week 6 - October 6 Facing Unemployment at 50 (58 minutes)
- Career Exploration and Planning (55 minutes) Whether you are looking for your first career, a new or better career, it all starts with career planning. Learn how you can take charge of your career, and use specific online career planning tools to get what you want or need to get out of work.
- Resume Writing Workshop This 19-minute video covers the tools you need to develop an effective resume.
- Building a resume in MS Word 1 The ability to create and edit a resume is an important part of any job search. This 90 minute video covers how to compose, save and adjust a resume in MS Word.
- Building a resume in MS Word 2. This is the second of three workshops dealing with how to effectively format a resume in MS Word. This 82 minute video covers Custom Bullets, Default and Custom Tabs and working with the Table format.
- Buidling a resume in MS Word 3. This is the third of three workshops covering how to use all of the tools necessary to create a well formatted, easy to read resume that meets the expectations of today’s employers.
- Introduction to Microsoft Word (87 minutes) - This introductory course will teach you methods for creating resumes, cover letters and more that meet employers' expectations.
- Intermediate Microsoft Word (80 minutes) Learn how to format text, paragraphs and documents, and how to Cut/Copy/Paste document information. This course will also teach you how to effectively work with bullets, columns and headers/footers.
- Advanced Microsoft Word (90 minutes) The topics covered in this course include creating custom tabs, working with tables and performing a mail merge process.
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel (82 minutes) Microsoft Excel is one of the most important applications used in business today. This introductory course will teach you the basics of data entry and spreadsheet creation. We will also define the most important terms and concepts you need to know to get started with this program.
- Intermediate Microsoft Excel (90 minutes) Learn how to format cells and create formulas to effectively and consistently get the summary data required to create reports. This course will also teach you how to create visual information through charts and graphs.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel (87 minutes) Topics covered include working with Functions, complex Formulas and Pivot Tables.
- Somali: Dib u Bilow Qoraalka Aqoon Isweydaarsiga Fiidiyowgaan 29-ka daqiiqo ah wuxuu kaa daboolayaa aaladaha aad ubaahantahay inaad sameysato resume hufan.
- Interview Skills Workshop Online This 30-minute video takes you through the job interview process – how to prepare, what to expect during it, and what to do afterwards.
- Somali: Aqoon Isweydaarsiga Xirfadaha Wareysiga ee Internet-ka Muuqaalkan 30-ka daqiiqo fiidiyaha ah wuxuu kaa haqabtirayaa habka wareysiga shaqada - sida loo diyaargaroobo, waxa laga filan karo inta lagu gudojiro, iyo wixii aad sameyn laheyd ka dib.
- Job Search Webinar This 26 minute video is an overview of job search best practices
- LinkedIn for Job Seekers workshop Learn how to Create a LinkedIn Account, Build your Profile to Attract Employers, Search and Apply for Jobs on LinkedIn and How to Build Your LinkedIn Network.
Other Online Resources
- CareerForce Online Tools Access interest and skills assessments, listings of jobs currently in demand during COVID-19, a resume-builder and more.
- Coursera Find out about free career-focused, online learning resources for all Minnesotans.
- Coursera Online Informational Session recorded on July 23, 2020 This workshop was held and recorded for customers to learn about 3,800+ FREE Coursera career-focused, online courses and training modules from over 200 top businesses and universities. It walks through the registration process and provides a sample of classes you can take to enhance your job search and career.
- Northstar Digital Literacy Access free online assessments and lessons on common computer, software, and technology skills, including Word, PowerPoint, email, internet, social media, and more. Strongly recommended: Career Search Skills under Using Technology in Daily Life.
- Online Job Search-Related Learning Modules View eLearning classes about job search, networking, resumes and interviewing. (These are not accessible with a screen reader.)
- CareerOneStop Find a broad range of job search resources on this U.S. Department of Labor website.
For Personal Assistance
- English: Email or call your local CareerForce location team. Find contact information for staff at a CareerForce location near you at www.careerforcemn.com/locations. Our staff can help you connect to job search resources, provide assistance with interviewing and resume writing, and help you navigate various government benefits.
- Spanish: Josie Chavez at/al 320-905-2808 or email firstname.lastname@example.org En español: por correó electrónico email@example.com
- Somali: Ilyas Ali at 651-539-4104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Haddii aad u baahantahay caawinaad Afsoomaali? fadlan la xiriir Ilyas Ali 651-539-4104 ama kala xiriir Emailka email@example.com
- For help with information specific to people with a criminal record, please contact Glory Mitchell at 218-302-8409 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; Dianna Martin at 651-539-4423 or email Dianna.email@example.com ; Guy Brown at 952-703-3121 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have trouble connecting with your local CareerForce location, call the CareerForce Help Desk at 651-259-7501 or email email@example.com.