Before the Event
Address your technical issues beforehand
Determine if you have a browser that is compatible with the online career fair platform you will be using and if not download the compatible browser and install it. Check your internet/WiFi connectivity.
Make sure you are in an uncluttered space without distractions
Clear any clutter from behind you in your camera's range to create a good impression and make sure you are free from distractions by muting your phone and take steps to avoid background noise from children, pets and other sources.
After registering, review the employers participating in the career fair. It is vital to get an idea of some of the companies you'd like to meet during the event. Doing research on companies that interest you before the event will help you prepare the right questions and facilitate a good conversation during one-on-session.
Check your resume
Review your resume and make sure you have an up-to-date digital copy with your name in the file name to share with interested employers.
Do a dry-run
Rehearsing will boost your confidence and will allow you to refine your presentation. Practice delivering your 20-second introduction slowly and clearly, with enthusiasm and a smile. Practice your responses to likely potential questions.
During the Event
- Maintain good eye contact
- Practice good listening
- Show enthusiasm and passion
- Be grateful and professional
Make a Good First Impression
- Dress as you would for an interview
- Display a positive, can-do attitude
- Be courteous, polite and likable
- Show that your are willing and motivated to learn and grow
Know Yourself and Your Skills
- Introduce yourself with a 20-second introduction that includes your work background, related skills and training and areas of interest
- End your introduction with a question for the recruiter to help start a conversation
- Offer to share a copy of your resume
- Know the schedules that you're able to work
- Find out about available jobs
- Learn about company culture
- Offer to complete an application during the fair or ask when you could return a completed application in person
- Ask when an in-person interview might be possible
- Establish a time to contact the employer to follow up on next steps
- Get the name and phone number of the person you should follow up with