About the Construction Industry
The construction sector comprises establishments primarily engaged in the construction of buildings or engineering projects, like bridges and highways. Establishments primarily engaged in the preparation of sites for new construction and establishments primarily engaged in subdividing land for sale as building sites also are included in this sector. Construction work done may include new work, additions, alterations, or maintenance and repairs.
In Demand Careers
- Construction laborers
- First-line supervisors of construction trades and extraction workers
- Plumbers, pipefitters, and steamfitters
- Heating, air conditioning, and refrigeration mechanics and installers
- Operating engineers and other construction equipment operators
- Office clerks, general
- Construction managers
- Cement masons and concrete finishers
Construction Industry Trends
- In 2022, there were just over 18,000 establishments providing almost 140,000 jobs in the Construction industry, with a payroll of just over $11.1 billion dollars. That accounted for about 5% of total employment in the state, or 1 in every 20 jobs.
- Average annual wages were just under $80,000 in 2022, which was about $10,000 above the average across all industries.
- The Construction industry was one of the fastest and largest growing industries in Minnesota since 2012, gaining more than 38,000 jobs from 2012 to 2022, including a jump of nearly, 8,800 jobs in the past 2 years.
- Construction firms reported more than 5,000 job vacancies in 2022, as employers struggled to find workers to fill open jobs. Less than 20% required postsecondary education, and median wage offers topped $23.50 per hour.
- According to DEED’s long-term projections, the Construction industry is expected to add over 5,500 jobs over the next decade, a 4.5% rate of growth. Several occupations in demand in Construction are expected to see growth in the future as well as demand from replacement openings as existing workers retire.
Construction Training Programs
No results found.
Select a Region
Select a Region to get Construction News for a specific region of Minnesota.