The Health Care and Social Assistance sector comprises establishments providing health care and social assistance for individuals. The sector includes services provided in hospitals, clinics, nursing and residential care facilities. This is a growing sector, with needs projected to continue to increase as the population ages.
- Health care represents 17% of all jobs in Minnesota.
- This industry is projected to grow 16.5% between 2018 and 2028, adding 80,150 jobs.
January 2021: Health Care Month
The key role of the health care industry in Minnesota’s economy has been highlighted in the COVID-19 pandemic, during which dedicated health care workers saved thousands of lives. The importance of the industry in the state is why Governor Walz has proclaimed January as Health Care Month.
Health care employs 478,485 people in Minnesota, the largest workforce by sector in the state, accounting for $25.7 billion in wages in 2019. Health care in Minnesota pays an average annual wage of $53,659, which is 4% higher than the nation’s average wage of $51,792 for the same sector.
Many entry-level health care jobs can be started with no previous experience and many employers provide on the job training, helping people considering a career move get on track for future career growth in the health care field. Wages go up with additional training, certification and experience. There is projected long-term demand, as well as high current demand for health care workers. Four of the top 10 Jobs in Demand now in Minnesota.
See Health Care Month resources for career seekers:
- See a listing of Health Care Month virtual events
- Transferable Skills from hospitality to health care careers
- Frequently asked questions: career path opportunities in health care
- Explore careers
- Job search
- Health Care Month videos
- Contact your local CareerForce location for assistance exploring health care careers and connecting with employers
See Health Care Month resources for employers:
- Read health care month blog posts from Workforce Strategy Consultants
- Contact your regional Workforce Strategy Consultant
- Good Jobs Now
- Workforce Strategy Consultant Health Care Newsletter
- Health Care Month graphics
- Meet your regional team
- Contact your local CareerForce location for assistance connecting with potential employees